A dining table is the hub of the home, a gathering place for family and friends. It is also a significant purchase that you hope will last a lifetime. The best dining table purchase will be one that is affordable, solidly constructed with a timeless style and the right fit for your space. Consider these five tips when purchasing your dining room table:
1. Affordability and Timelessness. Trends are perfect for accessories but not major purchases like dining tables. Keep it simple, within your budget and avoid jumping on the latest trend. Omnia XL Dining Table by Calligaris has clean lines and a timeless appeal. Omnia is a functional rectangular table that can seat up to 10 people comfortably, features wooden legs and your choice of glass, wood or ceramic-stone top.
2. Stability and Construction. If you want your dining table to last through years of children, homework and dinner party wear and tear, choose a table made from hardwood, such as mahogany, walnut, oak or teak. Tables made from engineered or composite woods, which include plywoods and MDF, are durable and economical but are never as strong as hardwood. Solid wood is durable and easy to repair. Wood expands and contracts with heat and humidity and can show scratches and wear, but is considerably easy to care for.
Designed by Calligaris, the Jungle Dining Table is an inspiring artful approach to design. With a walnut top and base, the Jungle table is characterized by two striking, intertwined wooden bases depicting tree branches. Designed by west coast designer, Shawn Place, the Place Dining Table from EQ3 enjoys a glass-top with durable oak or ash legs. Quality craftsmanship and striking form define this contemporary dining table. Glass dining tables are sturdy and provide a reflective surface while bringing a visual lightness to a room. Today’s versions are made with tempered safety glass, which means the glass resists scratches and heat and won’t shatter if knocked.
3. Fit. Consider the dining table's visual weight and account for space around it for chairs and comfort. The Echo Dining Table by Calligaris is a modern extendable dining table with a sleek design. It features a Calligaris-patented automatic system that lifts up the side extension leaves and aligns them with the glass top in two easy steps. The pedestal base offers top comfort for up to 10 people. A timeless marble top is always a showstopper.
4. Shape. Settle on a shape that will work in your dining room. Round tables are great in compact areas and eat-in kitchens that have square dining zones. The Vortex Dining Table by Calligaris offers a glass or ceramic top that marries beautifully with the metal base and is secured to the frame by three circular steel plates. The design of the Vortex table provides flexible seating.
5. Seats. How many people do you need to seat on a regular basis? Simply put, buy a table that responds to your everyday needs rather than the exception. To accommodate compact spaces, EQ3 has created the Mesa Round Dinette Table. Designed by German design team, 45 Kilo, the Mesa table has modern appeal with a sleek white or black marble top or oak top option.